Tuesday, December 06, 2005

I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings

I really like this book, and it has gotten a lot more sequential sort of, and easier to read. It's very interesting the way she tells the story. She doesn't complain, or whine, even though her childhood was pretty grim, and her jokes are very understated. She just sort of tells it like it is. She's extremely honest, and since her childhood was so fascinating she can pull it off.
I especially like the part where she's talking about her mother. She says her Grandma told her and her brother Bailey that her parents lived in St. Louis and California (where they can eat oranges whenever they want). But since she believes that they're both dead, she says even the thought of her mother can make her cry. She says when she imagined her mother, she was lying in a coffin, with a brown O for a head and "Since I couldn’t fill in the features I printed M O T H E R across the O, and tears would fall down my cheeks like warm milk".
I just thought that was powerful, and I think most people can relate to that sort of childhood imagining (poor wording, sorry).
Anyways, hope you all are enjoying your books as much as I'm enjoying mine!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home